Saturday, January 31, 2015

Joy Means Finding Meaning, Even in the Little Things


I went back and forth trying to figure out what I wanted to write about. I have so many ideas, but I really wanted to write about something that I had experienced or gone through or thought about today. Something I could really relate to in the here and now. Looking back over my day I was struggling to find anything major that stuck out. Yea, we had gone out and done some things today and hung out at home in the apartment together, but today was just one of those sleep in and relax days. It wasn't until I looked over and saw our little Deer Chihuahua Dany jump down from the bed onto her bed and pile of blankets in front of the heater to stay warm that I realized what today was all about. Almost knowing what I was thinking she looked back at me with one ear up as if to reassure my idea. My loving partner got Dany for me as a service animal or "therapy dog," licensed and all. Her full name is Daenerys Stormborn (from the beautiful Mother of Dragons in Game of Thrones - yes, I am a nerd) and she is about two and a half years old. I never thought I would want a tiny dog, let alone a chihuahua. Thank god Dany doesn't spend every second of the day barking or growling at everything that moves. She is so loving, and spends more time kissing me every day than my partner does. When I am feeling down there is nothing I love more than to just give in and let her attack me with kisses. A dog's unconditional love and affection is priceless, as those of you with a dog understand. She always loves me, no matter what. And I am always looking out for her or getting her something or whatever it is she needs at the time. The unspoken urge to both love and protect each other is strong between us; it's almost as if she were my doggie soulmate haha. Get this, she even has the same birthday as me. Crazy, right?! Dany's second favorite activity is working her way under the comforter and sheets and positioning herself between us or down at our legs to stay warm and be close. It's a good, warm feeling knowing that she's there. Anyway, back to the main point. Today was about enjoying all the small things that make me happy. The plans we had for the day got postponed and so we found ourselves with nothing to do. After sleeping in and relaxing at home drinking coffee and catching up on the new season of "Downton Abbey" we went out to one of our favorite areas to walk around the shops and just talk to each other while relaxing and having fun. A little sun didn't hurt either. For dinner we brought home Chipotle and then just grabbed some groceries before walking Dany and settling down to watch movies in bed and play on our iPhones. My point is that while none of these things are really that special or out of the ordinary, the point is that they are all things that bring me joy.
It is important to remember to take time for yourself, put your joy as a priority and so will your life. Every day it is important to have at least one thing you can use to escape even for just a few moments. Something that transports you somewhere else, something that makes you smile on the inside or the outside. Hold on to and treasure these things. Bad and good things will always happen to us, if we choose to remember the bad things then we are making ourselves unhappy. We can't change the past remember, so might as well remember the times that make us happy and the times that we hold dear to us to help us along our journey through the decisions we still have yet to make that we have control over.
It can be a song that makes you feel stronger and like you can face the day or a picture of a lost loved one who always taught you how to smile. What matters most is just how much it means to you. Put it somewhere out in the open or in the path of your daily routine. Tape the picture on the inside of your day planner or make a new playlist you can always skip to on your iPhone while you're driving. Every month or so I attach myself to a new song that I will play obsessively for weeks at a time. I drive my partner crazy but I always pick a song that means something to me at that moment. It could be "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen because it reminds me of when I first met the love of my life or "Jet Pack Blues" by Fall Out Boy because for some reason I just feel it deep down and the lyrics come naturally to my my mind and my memory. The fun is finding that new song that is just right. Sometimes before I go to sleep I turn on Pokemon on Netflix for just thirty minutes or so because it reminds me of growing up with my little brother. I am a nerd and a dork, I know, but at least embracing it gives me the freedom I need to be myself and live happily.
Whenever I trigger my inner Joy it always makes me feel better no matter what is going on. It makes me look around at the world around me and really see it. I notice the beautiful clouds and sun in the sky, the gigantic trees overhanging the street, how the guy I just let turn out in front of my truck looks in his mirror and waves thanks, on and on. The little things rarely make themselves obviously known. That's when I truly realize that the joy in life comes from the little things. Today when we went to the mall I got to spend a few hours with my best friend and soul mate just talking and joking around and laughing together. To me that is worth a million ga-jiion times more than all the currency on earth.  Growing up I always longed to meet someone and get married and settled down and have someone always there to help me and love me. Someone for me to love and take care of. Doing things like just going to the mall remind me that even through whatever turmoils I am going through right now I still have my dream right next me for every moment. Someone to be with me throughout the ups and downs. This brings me such joy whenever I remember just how lucky I am  that I can feel it puff my chest up and make my heart jump a million times a minute. When I pick up my phone and see him in the background looking back at me the same thing happens. Life is in the details. When everything is going wrong we have to remember that the true joy comes in those small details and memories and traditions that you will cherish for the rest of your life. 
We all go through tough times daily, at work and in life. If we can find those little details, the small silver linings of your life, then we can make it through anything. And make it through joyful. I challenge you to find one thing, one detail or tradition or memory, and focus on it. Put out reminders to help you not forget the good things in your life. Carry it with you as a tool of strength and a weapon against fear and loneliness. Don't be too stressed out or upset that you can't see the happy things in life or even worse seeing it and being too stubborn to admit that even when you are angry or hurt or stressed out there are always things to be happy about. We have air to breathe. We have food to eat. We have clothes to wear. We have a computer or phone (if you're reading this you have to have something). We have eyes to read. We all have that favorite movie at home from childhood that we secretly watch when we want to feel like life hasn't changed too much. Find one that means the most to you and hold on for dear life let it be your lifeboat in turbulent waters. Let yourself be your own savior, Joy is all around us if we choose to acknowledge and see it. For everyone reading, let me know what you pick or what you already use. Leave me a comment. I'd love to hear. Stay joyful everyone, there's no other way to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment