Sunday, February 1, 2015

Joy Is Rewarding Yourself


We all need something to look forward to. Not just a goal or something to achieve but a reward, something to make it for. Like, for example, April 21st I'm going to see Iggy Azalea and Nick Jonas in concert. I've had a not-so-seret crush on Nick Jonas for a while now and ever since the first time I heard "Fancy" Iggy had me hooked. For a while I went back and forth on whether or not I was going to spend the money to get tickets. In the end, late one night before passing out in bed watching TV, I went ahead and just gave in because I knew how badly I really wanted it and I was probably going to cave in the end anyway. At least this way my seats would be better. It ended up not costing too much, but being over three months away at the time I had plenty of time left for anticipation. I do things like that often for myself, most of the time including my partner as well. What's the fun in doing something exciting all alone and not being able to share it with anyone? While I was going to have a long wait I was still content knowing the motivation I would have for the next few months.
I always need something to look forward to, something to help me make it through the day, the work week and even life. Something that I can remember when things start to get bad or rough or even just when I feel too tired to get up and live life. I tell myself to keep going, push on, because if I do then I am going to make it to this concert. Can you imagine how crazy it's going to be? A date night at the Staples Center with a heart-on-his-sleeve muscle lover-boy and the over-the-top Australian rapping beauty-queen. I want a t shirt. A Nick Jonas One. OK, and probably an Iggy one too. And if they have posters then I need a Nick one for the room. I wonder how much stuff they will have? Will they run out of smalls before I get to the front of the line? Yes, I realize these are all silly unimportant things to be thinking about, but the key is that the excitement I get from looking forward to an event I want so badly is a source of joy and helps me make it that last hour at work. I don't spend all day obsessing over it, but I remind myself periodically throughout the day that I have something to look forward to. While a concert may sound materialistic, the act of going together with my partner to a fun event is what I truly treasure. I love the memories I have of us going out for a night on the town, surprise date nights, being spoiled with love and affection and just taking walks all the time every day together. I'll get to scream/sing along to all these songs I know while getting dressed up and feeling attractive and having my partner next to me the whole time. That sure as hell sounds fun to me, and I know there will be at least a few pictures of us from that event that go up on the wall before too long. The joy is in the little things, even the little things we have yet to experience. Anticipation can be a great motivator and self-esteem booster. Be your own source of fuel and drive by simply letting yourself have some of the things you really love in this life (as long as they of course aren't self-destructive or harmful acts). If we have one shot we might as well enjoy it, and look forward to all the joyful things we have coming. There is always joy coming ahead of us, but by giving it a tangible picture we give ourselves something more concrete to hold on to. If we feel we can grasp it then we are more likely to remember it.
The thing you choose to look forward to can be anything, big or small. A new iPhone or the release of the movie you've been dying to see. One of the things I love about iTunes is that they now offer pre-release purchases of new albums coming out and throw in the singles to download. It may sound shallow, but I've loved listening to music on my iPhone, iPod or Walkman since I was a young boy. One of my escapes, ever evolving in taste and character. One I have now transformed into my truck stereo connected to my iPhone. When one of my favorite artists has a new song out, especially one that I like, I don't mind buying the music on iTunes at all. Getting the brand new single is always fun because it's the newest song in probably quite a while. On top of that as new pre-order singles come out every Monday they are download automatically until the release date when the whole album is downloaded. Most of the time the release date is on a Monday now and since I am in LA I guess, it always starts downloading Sunday night around eight or nine. It's a little surprise to ease the start of a new week and a Monday morning. When a new single is downloaded it's like a tease that just strings the anticipation on. Something small, yet something I use to make me smile and lighten my load to make my life more joyful.
Tonight I get to go see my favorite show of all time, I mean I do have the Targaryen sigil tattooed on my right upper arm, Game of Thrones in IMAX at the Universal Studios Theatre in Hollywood. The last two episodes of the last season with a brand new two minute preview of the upcoming fifth season. I'll get to see the dragons on the huge IMAX screen! It's been so hard waiting. I remember one of the most trying times in my life, when I was seventeen, I started reading this book series and latched myself onto the character of Daenerys Targaryen. Drawing strength and hope from her and what her character stands for I have kept her close to my heart since then, over ten years. Getting to see her and her dragons, my spirit animal, will be so amazing. I have been waiting for weeks, anticipating for over a year when I heard rumors of the plans for IMAX. It's all about finding meaning and joy in the small things. Any one of the small things, and carrying that hope with you to give you motivation and strength. Not only am I on the edge of my seat and toes today dying in anticipation, but tomorrow I am sure no one I come across will not hear how much I loved it.
Valentine's Day is coming up, one of my favorite holidays - especially now that I have a special someone in my life. It's another reason to make plans, plans of any kind, to have to look forward to. I spent many a Valentine's Day alone (all before my love) and I know it can be hard, but stay home and watch your favorite movies with wine and candy or go out to the movies with your friends. You are the one who decides how happy and joyful you are, give yourself another reason to be. I already have the wine and movie tickets for our Valentine's Day date and every time I think about it I get butterflies. 
Having something to look forward to is important, but we have to remember things can change. No matter what bad things happen though you'll still get to go to the movies or out to dinner. It's also important to keep in mind that change is a part of life and if plans have to change that's ok. Just don't break your plans. The whole point is to give you something real to look forward to. If the concert gets cancelled or your loved one goes out of town the weekend of the movie then find something else to do. That day though, not any other time in the future. That time is already set aside for you and yourself. Use it. Go see a movie by yourself. Call a friend to go walk around the park with. Go find something cool from the mall under $10. Be silly, get creative. Yesterday my partner and I were to go to a club event that got cancelled. We went to one the night before so it wasn't too disappointing, but in the end we spent the day together in bed, cooking and eating, going shopping, taking the dog for a walk and on and on. The little things. I could have been depressed and angry and brooding and taken it out on my companion but what would that have done except brought me more heartache and anguish. I could have thought about it all day and let it consume my thoughts until it drove me to an outburst or as I chose to do, just let it go and enjoy what I have and hold it dear. 
Find a way to reward yourself. Give yourself something to look forward to. Something you really do want and will enjoy. Something that speaks to who you really are inside. Make it so that it's far enough away to give you something to look forward to and work toward yet not so far as to seem unobtainable. Let me know what you pick, what goals you set and what motivations you grasp. Leave me a comment. Until then, continue to dream dream's of joy, and look forward to living life - in the end, what else is there to look forward to anyway. Here's to the future. 


No comments:

Post a Comment