Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Buddhist Meditation Beads = Mala Beads - 108 Beads, 1 Mantra


In my next step on my way to wholeness and being Joyful I went out today to get a set of Buddhist Meditation Beads. I have been wanting some for awhile and all the ones I could find were online and I didn't want to have to wait the week and a half to get them. So on an off chance I tried a store in the Burbank Mall and they had some. I got a black sandalwood one. They are so beautiful, so simple, yet so amazing. They don't have to be worn for religious purposes, anyone can use them. It is to help oneself with their intent and focus, a meditation tool. I won't pretend to know hardly anything at all, but I have been doing research over the years and more recently about what they are and what they mean. From my interpretation, they have been used many times throughout history. They are a tool for anyone to use to help each of us gain mindfulness and find our own personal Joy. 
They come is big and small, from bracelets to necklaces and even those range in shape, size, stone and color. Each one holds a different kind of energy and it is said that the person and their Mala pick each other, kind of like getting a wand in Harry Potter. I got a black sandalwood one for now, because I love the feel of the sandalwood on my fingers and the simplicity of it. I will probably order a pearl one later since pearl is my birthstone and a prayer/meditation chain connected like that would have a lot of energy between us to be held. That is being worked on as we speak. For now, I have my wooden ones and they are just fine with me. 
The use of Mala beads has been around for centuries and popped up in many a culture, above that it has lasted this long and is still thriving. Where is the power in that? It must have some spiritual power or significance. There are 108 beads plus the keystone and the tassel. Why 108? Well, it is not really known, but I have done some reading and compiling and to me this is what I get: "1" for whatever higher power or deity we believe in, "0" is for when we open ourselves up and become nothing except part of the world around us and lastly "8" for the infinite everlasting of that very world around us. 
Why have I gotten these beads do you ask? Because I am trying to focus more on myself and centering myself, focusing on my Joy and being a better happier person. Not just to benefit me, but for others around me too. I am hoping that this will become another tool to help me gain mindfulness, especially because it can mean pretty much whatever I need it to mean to me. It's really easy to do, you basically pick an "intent" to focus on or you use your mantra or code and you go from bead to bead repeating that mantra on each one, but repeating it with intent and thinking about just that. Being mindful of what you are doing. You go bead from bead moving around, you hold it in really either hand and move them with your thumb after you finish. When you get to the end you don't touch the keystone, you either turn back and go back around the other way or you stop. That is what I have come to understand and interpret and then tweak to make my own. Any input from you guys is more than welcome!!Please, try this with me, let me know what you think or if you do it already. I am truly hoping this will help me focus my intent and make me more mindful, especially of the things that are really bothering me. To me they are a symbol of hope and change and they remind me of my mantra, which I have finally decided on. I have also decided to wear it with me under my shirt, that way it won't be showy but it will still be on my skin and close to my heart where it belongs. It's always there to remind be of my mantra and what I am trying to accomplish. Reminding me of my Joy, my own personal Joy, and how to get there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment