Sunday, February 22, 2015

Make It Special!

There aren't too many occasions in life where we have the opportunity to dress up and have fun. When we are young we look forward to Homecoming, Prom and Graduation. Our parents spend so much money on tuxedo rentals and limo rides or brand new dresses and flowers, all to make us feel like we are stars. As we grow up there become fewer reasons to dress up, going out with friends turns into late night soccer practice before the big tournament and the lunch dates with friends or that special guy turns into weekly dinners at your parents house so they can feel you are still a part of their lives. Tradition and family are important, but so are we too. We don't always have to put ourselves first but we have to make ourselves a priority. We are special, and we have to constantly be reminding ourselves because we tend to forget it before we've finished thinking it. 
You don't have to take time away from other things or commitments, just make those occasions you do have memorable. It doesn't have to be much, anything that makes you laugh, smile or feel better about yourself. When you have a presentation at work plan out what you're going to wear ahead of time. Pick out your favorite shoes, go get a necklace or ring or something new to match with it. It doesn't have to be much. The act of planning and the anticipation for even the little bonuses are the fuel we need to keep our joy production high. I have my concerts and visit back home to Tennessee coming in April. Those things I look forward to because I am excited about them and they help motivate me to get through all the crap until then. But what really makes it special are the plans around it. Picking out what I want to wear to the concert and what clothes I want to bring back home to wear are all little things but they give me control over my happiness, my joy. I'm having fun planning the trip out with my mom, building the anticipation. Give yourself something to be joyful for. 
Another example, tonight we are going to an Oscar viewing party in some loft in Hollywood. With my partner being involved with the entertainment industry I've jumped into the world of Hollywood. These parties still intimidate me, no matter where they are or who is throwing them. Most of the time it ends up ok, but I do things to make myself feel more comfortable and confident in myself. For tonight I am going to wear a black polo with black slacks and white suspenders with a black and white splashed bow tie. I'm going to wear my favorite black designer boots. I got a new bracelet from the store and new underwear too. Just to make it more fun and exciting. I love my new white suspenders and with the bow tie I picked up, for less than 6$, they will look even more awesome. I have to look hot and stand out without looking weird or like I'm trying too hard. I just try hard, not too hard. 
Tonight I am going to feel awesome. I'll be in a newly designed and newly accessorized outfit and I'll be standing up tall. Make yourself feel good. Make yourself feel attractive. Yes you can do it to get the attention of your loving partner, but more so do it for yourself. By expressing yourself, feeling confident and smiling you flood your night with joy. It can be as small as wearing that sexy new leather jockstrap everyday under your jeans or buying a wristband to make you smile because at work today someone got into an argument with you and pushed your buttons until the simmering reached a boil. The day you have a presentation at work plan on wearing your favorite tee shirt under your button up to give you that little extra boost. There are numerous events coming up for each of us, from the first day on a new shift at work to the dinner you are having with your best friend from college next week. Make them special, that way even if they disappoint it won't matter because you'll have that blanket of joy to wrap yourself in. I can't wait until tonight, my sexy new outfit, a haircut I finally love and my newly grown beard. I'm going to make tonight joyful; it's up to me. No one else is going to give you the keys to your own castle. Open the door and let yourself in! 

No comments:

Post a Comment